Another church to be mysteriously destroyed by fire was Pollokshields UP Church in Leslie Street, East Pollokshields, which was burnt out in 1983.
The depot of the Glasgow Tramway & Omnibus Company had been situated in Tobago Street, Calton, close to Glasgow Green.
It was October last year when I first came face to face with the men accused of Kriss Donald's murder.
B. Hutchison was the first recipient of this grant.
It was formally opened on April 18th, 1903 and is currently used by Hutchesons Grammar School as the 'Fotheringay Centre', a theatre/ concert hall with ancillary accommodation for lectures and seminars.
The body of the church was was destroyed by fire in 1988, leaving the east window (below) as the last remaining part of the building.
Neighbourhood comparisons with Glasgow Estimates of male and female life expectancy in Pollokshields East are slightly higher than the Glasgow average.
This remnant can be viewed from Shields Road near the corner with Glencairn Drive.
It offered an interesting contrast to the leafy avenues of large villas in the burgh of Pollokshields.
Drawing of "Kitchin's Corner", Pollokshields
The future site of the large houses in the planned garden suburb is shown on the map as "(Part of) Titwood", around a steading named "Haggbowse"
First out of the prison van was Faisal Mushtaq shackled to Zeeshan Shahid.
The Sherbrooke Castle Hotel was designed by architects, J.Thomson & R.Sandilands as a private residence, 'Rhuadsgeir', at 11 Sherbrooke Avenue. Architect's elevation of 'Beneffrey', Pollokshields, 1910
Photograph of 'Kelmscott', Pollokshields, 2014
Pollokshields Established Church was designed by Stirling born architect, Robert Baldie. Entrance to 'Matheran' from Springkell Avenue, "AD 1903"
It then became a private dwelling before assuming its current use as a mosque.
Rev.
The opening service for the church building was held on May 19, 1878.
Pollokshields Glencairn Church was known as Trinity UP Church when it first opened in 1891.
Pollokshields UP Church, Leslie Street
Entrance to 'Matheran' from Springkell Avenue, "AD 1903"
From 1872, prior to the establishment of the municipal transport system, horse drawn trams had been operated in by the Glasgow Tramway and Omnibus Company.
It is currently home to the Tramway Arts Centre.
At the end of June 1894 the operation of the tramway was taken over by Glasgow Corporation who already owned and maintained the track.
Pollokshields UP Church, Leslie Street
Albert Drive frontage of former Copelawhill tram depot, now the Tramway Arts Centre
Terraced houses on the eastern side of Shields Road, on the dividing line of the old burgh boundaries
Drawing of "Kitchin's Corner", Pollokshields
It was formally opened on April 18th, 1903 and is currently used by Hutchesons Grammar School as the 'Fotheringay Centre', a theatre/ concert hall with ancillary accommodation for lectures and seminars. The original horse tram depot at Copelawhill was built in stages from 1894 to the designs of W. Clark with trams garaged at ground level and stabling for the horses on the first floor.
St Ninian's Episcopal Church, Albert Drive
The body of the church was was destroyed by fire in 1988, leaving the east window (below) as the last remaining part of the building.
Trees growing alongside the pavements of Pollokshields
It shows that the 'as-built' version was very close to that envisioned by the architect in the perspective drawing displayed two years earlier.
The church was designed by W. F. McGibbon and was built in 1882. Offers over 375,000.
1920's view of Kenmure Street, Pollokshields
Night time view of floodlit Sherbrooke Castle Hotel
The only remaining building shown in this section of the old map is South Bank a detached villa on the north side of St Andrews Drive which is now a Sikh Temple.
Rear view of Haggs Castle and associated outbuildings on the old road from Pollokshaws to Govan
Former Pollokshields Free Church, designed by W.G.
An unexpected feature of the Tramway is a surviving equestrian staircase which led to 8 stables on the first floor with 36 horses per stable. Pollokshields Established Church, built at the corner of Shields Road and Albert Drive in 1878
It then became a private dwelling before assuming its current use as a mosque. The house was first occupied in 1882 and was in use as a synogogue from 1928 to 1984.
It shows that the 'as-built' version was very close to that envisioned by the architect in the perspective drawing displayed two years earlier. Photograph of 'Beneffrey', Pollokshields, 2014
An unexpected feature of the Tramway is a surviving equestrian staircase which led to 8 stables on the first floor with 36 horses per stable. Interior of St Ninian's Episcopal Church, Albert Drive
Architect, H.E.
London East End gangster twins Ronnie (right) and Reggie Kray pictured after spending 36 hours helping the police with their inquiry into the murder of George Cornell (Image: William Lovelace/Daily Express/Hulton Archive/Getty Images). Open topped tram in Nithsdale Road with Pollokshields Free Church in background
Access to the stables was provided by very gently sloping flight of steps with 4 in. St Ninian's Episcopal Church at the corner of Albert Drive and Pollokshaws Road was designed by architect David Thomson (1831-1910), who was also responsible for many of the tenement blocks of East Pollokshields. The architects of the house were Messrs. Frank Burnet, Boston and Carruthers. Altar and decorative panels at St Ninian's Episcopal Church, Pollokshields
Springkell Avenue faade of 'Matheran', Pollokshields
The depot of the Glasgow Tramway & Omnibus Company had been situated in Tobago Street, Calton, close to Glasgow Green.
Pollokshields is a great place to.
The opening service for the church building was held on May 19, 1878. Exhibition drawing of 'Matheran' at corner of Sherbrooke Avenue and Springkell Avenue
First horse trams to be operated by Glasgow Corporation
It is a beautiful example of Edwardian domestic architecture, retaining all its original exterior features in pristine condition.
Horse drawn trams were fully withdrawn from service in the city by the end of April 1902.
He says the problem with gangs in the area has been going on for more than 10 years.
From 1872, prior to the establishment of the municipal transport system, horse drawn trams had been operated in by the Glasgow Tramway and Omnibus Company. I was delighted to present an illustrated talk as part of the 2018-2019 programme.
View of Fotheringay Centre, 2014
'Kelmscott' is an out-of-the ordinary villa situated in Springkell Avenue, close to the Sherbooke Castle Hotel.
The stables there had stalls for horses on the both first and second floors with the top floor being used as a hay loft.
Access to the stables was provided by very gently sloping flight of steps with 4 in.
The blaze had started in the Strawberry and Spice Garden minimarket late on Sunday 10 November 2019.
Old map showing Trinity UP Church shortly after it was built
This photograph shows the very first trams to be operated by Glasgow Corporation while in procession to the newly opened depot at Coplawhill.
1920's view of Kenmure Street, Pollokshields
Photograph of Sutherland House, Pollokshields, 2014
The former Copelawhill Tram Works and Depot was built on the land surrounding St Ninian's Episcopal Church in Albert Drive and Pollokshaws Road.
Sherbrooke St Gilbert's Church
The foundation stone was laid on 16th September 1872 by Dr. William S. Wilson, Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway.
Pollokshields Established Church, built at the corner of Shields Road and Albert Drive in 1878
risers that could be safely negotiated by horses. Tracery on window of Pollokshields Parish Church
Horse drawn trams were fully withdrawn from service in the city by the end of April 1902.
The garden shrubbery had just recently been planted, with the trees being mere saplings. Feuing plan from 1849 showing proposed development of Pollokshields as a planned suburb
I was delighted to present an illustrated talk as part of the 2018-2019 programme.
St Ninian's Episcopal Church at the corner of Albert Drive and Pollokshaws Road was designed by architect David Thomson (1831-1910), who was also responsible for many of the tenement blocks of East Pollokshields.
Pollokshields Heritage organise an annual lecture series held in the former Pollokshields Congregational Church, close to Maxwell Park Station. Pollokshields Heritage Lecture Series, 2018-19
It was insisted upon that the villas of Pollokshields were all built to different plans.
Pollokshields UP Church, Leslie Street
275 Maxwell Road, Glasgow, G41 1TE.
1 property type(s) Bedrooms.
It offered an interesting contrast to the leafy avenues of large villas in the burgh of Pollokshields.
This photograph shows the very first trams to be operated by Glasgow Corporation while in procession to the newly opened depot at Coplawhill.
Terraced houses on the eastern side of Shields Road, on the dividing line of the old burgh boundaries
0.3 miles.
The villa displays an unusual combination of materials, blending typical Scottish red sandstone with very English mock-Tudor timber detailing. Pollokshields Congregational Church in Fotheringay Road was designed by architects Steele & Balfour in a modest Gothic style.
St Ninian's Episcopal Church at the corner of Albert Drive and Pollokshaws Road was designed by architect David Thomson (1831-1910), who was also responsible for many of the tenement blocks of East Pollokshields.
'Inchgarvie' Sherbrooke Avenue, Pollokshields
The foundation stone was laid on 16th September 1872 by Dr. William S. Wilson, Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway.
Engraving of restored Haggs Castle
The Sherbrooke Castle Hotel was designed by architects, J.Thomson & R.Sandilands as a private residence, 'Rhuadsgeir', at 11 Sherbrooke Avenue.
1920's view of Kenmure Street, Pollokshields
Equestrian staircase at former Copelawhill tram depot, Pollokshields
Horse drawn trams were fully withdrawn from service in the city by the end of April 1902.
'Kelmscott' is an out-of-the ordinary villa situated in Springkell Avenue, close to the Sherbooke Castle Hotel.
2004 where 15-year-old Kriss Donald was abducted by a gang of five. Equestrian staircase at former Copelawhill tram depot, Pollokshields
'Ardtornish' was designed by James Miller in an Anglified Arts & Crafts style, very different from his later Chicago inspired commercial architecture which graced Glasgow city centre in the inter-war years of the twentieth century. Detached villa, built 1886, as part of later development in Avenues west of St Andrews Drive, Pollokshields
St Ninian's was the south side's first Episcopal church, predating the much larger and grander St Margaret's in Newlands by half a century.
Engraving of restored Haggs Castle
Access to the stables was provided by very gently sloping flight of steps with 4 in. This photograph shows the very first trams to be operated by Glasgow Corporation while in procession to the newly opened depot at Coplawhill.
The architects of the house were Messrs. Frank Burnet, Boston and Carruthers.
Architect's photograph of 'Beneffrey', Pollokshields, 1915
The steps had non-slip metal surfaces frequently divided by transverse ridges forming the criss-cross pattern. Neighbours got the word out, and very quickly the community, tenants groups, and anti-eviction groups .
Remains of east window of Pollokshields Glencairn Church
Pollokshields Free Church is currently used as a nursing home, Nithsdale Lodge
Equestrian staircase at former Copelawhill tram depot, Pollokshields
Their exhibition drawing of the house, below, was displayed at the annual exhibition of the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts in 1904.
Architect's photograph of 'Beneffrey', Pollokshields, 1915
The foundation stone was laid on 16th September 1872 by Dr. William S. Wilson, Bishop of Glasgow and Galloway. The stables there had stalls for horses on the both first and second floors with the top floor being used as a hay loft.
The former Copelawhill Tram Works and Depot was built on the land surrounding St Ninian's Episcopal Church in Albert Drive and Pollokshaws Road.
From 1872, prior to the establishment of the municipal transport system, horse drawn trams had been operated in by the Glasgow Tramway and Omnibus Company.
Albert Drive frontage of former Copelawhill tram depot, now the Tramway Arts Centre
The stables there had stalls for horses on the both first and second floors with the top floor being used as a hay loft.
Communion Table at Pollokshields Parish Church, designed by William Gardner Rowan, 1912
Rowan, 1892
Further examples of exhibition drawings of large villas can be viewed at the Domestic Architecture of Glasgow's South Side page of this website. Eagle lectern at Sherbrooke St Gilbert's Church
0141 276 1685. libraries@glasgowlife.org.uk.
Photograph of 'Beneffrey', Pollokshields, 2014
'Kelmscott' is an out-of-the ordinary villa situated in Springkell Avenue, close to the Sherbooke Castle Hotel.
Moonlight over Pollokshields Burgh Hall
The villa displays an unusual combination of materials, blending typical Scottish red sandstone with very English mock-Tudor timber detailing.
It offered an interesting contrast to the leafy avenues of large villas in the burgh of Pollokshields.
The large gardens surrounding the houses were widely planted with broad-leaved trees such as beech, sycamore and lime.
First floor stalls of stables overlooking courtyard of former Copelawhill tram depot
St Ninian's Episcopal Church at the corner of Albert Drive and Pollokshaws Road was designed by architect David Thomson (1831-1910), who was also responsible for many of the tenement blocks of East Pollokshields.
The Sherbrooke Castle Hotel was designed by architects, J.Thomson & R.Sandilands as a private residence, 'Rhuadsgeir', at 11 Sherbrooke Avenue.
Interior of St Ninian's Episcopal Church, Albert Drive
From 1872, prior to the establishment of the municipal transport system, horse drawn trams had been operated in by the Glasgow Tramway and Omnibus Company. Photograph of 'Oaklands', Sherbrooke Avenue, from 2014
His design drawings were exhibited at the annual exhibition of the Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts in 1875.
The steps had non-slip metal surfaces frequently divided by transverse ridges forming the criss-cross pattern.
1920's view of Kenmure Street, Pollokshields
The arches at the loggia are supported by cast-iron columns.
The Corporation had decided in 1897 to convert the tram system to electric traction and the following year the Springburn route was the first to be electrified. The villa displays an unusual combination of materials, blending typical Scottish red sandstone with very English mock-Tudor timber detailing.
Their exhibition drawing of the house, below, was displayed at the annual exhibition of the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts in 1904.
Interior of 'Madrasa Taleem Ul Islam' mosque, Pollokshields
18 Is Thorntonhall posh? Michael.
St Ninian's was the south side's first Episcopal church, predating the much larger and grander St Margaret's in Newlands by half a century.
risers that could be safely negotiated by horses. Illustration of 'Oaklands', Sherbrooke Avenue, from 1904
Haggs Castle in St Andrew's Drive was originally built as a defensive tower house in the 1580's.
1920's view of Kenmure Street, Pollokshields
Directions. It offered an interesting contrast to the leafy avenues of large villas in the burgh of Pollokshields. Theme for the Evening "In or Out" President Brendan opened the meeting and welcomed everyone. When it is completed the stonework and building style will make it blend in naturally with the beautiful houses erected a century earlier.
Architect's drawing of 'Ardtornish', Sutherland Avenue Pollokshields, 1893
Photograph of 'Beneffrey', Pollokshields, 2014
Their drawing of the house, below, was displayed at the annual exhibition of the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts in 1896. Offers over 265,000.
Further examples of exhibition drawings of large villas can be viewed at the Domestic Architecture of Glasgow's South Side page of this website.
Eagle lectern at Sherbrooke St Gilbert's Church
University bound tramcar at junction of Nithsdale Road and St Andrew's Drive
The original horse tram depot at Copelawhill was built in stages from 1894 to the designs of W. Clark with trams garaged at ground level and stabling for the horses on the first floor. St Ninian's was the south side's first Episcopal church, predating the much larger and grander St Margaret's in Newlands by half a century.
This remnant can be viewed from Shields Road near the corner with Glencairn Drive.
First floor stalls of stables overlooking courtyard of former Copelawhill tram depot
Open topped tram in Nithsdale Road with Pollokshields Free Church in background
If you are lucky enough to find a development plot for a new house in the Conservation Area, Glasgow City Council will ensure that it is built in the style of the existing properties surrounding it. It offered an interesting contrast to the leafy avenues of large villas in the burgh of Pollokshields. Clifford's exhibition drawing of Sutherland House, Pollokshields, 1900
The house was first occupied in 1882 and was in use as a synogogue from 1928 to 1984.
Pollokshields Established Church, built at the corner of Shields Road and Albert Drive in 1878
Interior views of Pollokshields Parish Church
There are around 20 workers and volunteers for the Pollokshields charity, which is currently facing worrying funding cuts. Aerial view of "South Bank" and surrounding modern developments
Moonlight over Pollokshields Burgh Hall
First floor stalls of stables overlooking courtyard of former Copelawhill tram depot
Rev.
First horse trams to be operated by Glasgow Corporation
Photograph of Sutherland House, Pollokshields, 2014
Springkell Avenue faade of 'Matheran', Pollokshields
The site of the building was donated by Sir John Maxwell, along with an annuity of 100 in perpetuity to "the clergyman of the first Episcopal Church that should be built and consecrated on his lands or on lands adjacent to his." It is currently home to the Tramway Arts Centre.
Perspective drawing of Pollokshields Trinity UP Church by architect, W.G.
View of "South Bank", the only surviving house shown the north side of the map
Pollokshields Heritage Lecture Series, 2018-19
The opening service for the church building was held on May 19, 1878.
1920's street scene at Albert Drive, Pollokshields
The garden shrubbery had just recently been planted, with the trees being mere saplings.
Asian gang life in Glasgow | Asian Image First floor stalls of stables overlooking courtyard of former Copelawhill tram depot
The body of the church was was destroyed by fire in 1988, leaving the east window (below) as the last remaining part of the building.
Exhibition drawing of 'Matheran' at corner of Sherbrooke Avenue and Springkell Avenue
Interior views of Pollokshields Parish Church
University bound tramcar at junction of Nithsdale Road and St Andrew's Drive
The first phase of the development progressed over the next 25 years, leading to Pollokshields acheiving the status of an independent burgh for a short period from 1876 to 1891, after which it became part of the city of Glasgow.
Pollokshields Free Church is currently used as a nursing home, Nithsdale Lodge
Horse drawn trams were fully withdrawn from service in the city by the end of April 1902.
Drawing of "Kitchin's Corner", Pollokshields
Imran Azam looks into the issue of Glasgow's Asian gangs and speaks to two individuals who have been at the thick end of violence and a youth worker and community worker who are trying hard to convince a generation of youngsters to reject the idea of joining gangs. Photograph of 'Kelmscott', Pollokshields, 2014
The former Copelawhill Tram Works and Depot was built on the land surrounding St Ninian's Episcopal Church in Albert Drive and Pollokshaws Road. Architect's drawing of 'Ardtornish', Sutherland Avenue Pollokshields, 1893
First horse trams to be operated by Glasgow Corporation
The interior has aisle arcades formed by polished granite columns on high octagonal sandstone bases with French Gothic capitals supporting pointed arches beneath the clerestory windows and the high scissor-braced roof trusses. Architect's drawing of 'Ardtornish', Sutherland Avenue Pollokshields, 1893